According to the "History of Henry and Fulton Counties" by Louis Cass Aldrich, written in 1888, the first courthouse was a log cabin, built in 1832 and owned by either Mr. Huston or Mr. Andrews. Two years later, George Stout joined the community and built a two-story log cabin that he opened for the traveling public. In the dining room of this tavern, the first two of three terms of the Common Pleas court were held. The first grand jury bedded down for the night in the haymow in the nearby barn. He erected a rear addition to this tavern for the administration of the affairs of the county. Napoleon has been the County Seat since 1835.
Stout's old log addition served the county's needs until 1844 when a plain frame two-story building with courtrooms on the second floor was built for $2000. This courthouse was destroyed by fire in April of 1847. The 'second' official Courthouse was built a few years later for $7,495. This new brick structure was small and quaint with an impressive entrance of white pillars, a bell tower, and a spire. In 1879 the "white-pillared" Courthouse was completely destroyed along with twenty-one other buildings by a fire that originated in the Reiser building on the corner of Perry and Main street.
The present Courthouse was complete in 1882 for $95,000 with Mr. David Gibbs as the architect. The County Jail was also constructed at this time for $20,000. Both structures are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.